Splicing 220 Volt Wire

Old 12-14-05, 09:12 PM
JERRY TADLOCK
Visiting Guest
Cool Splicing 220 Volt Wire

I Want To Put A Doorway In A Wall Where All My Electrical Wires Run. Can I Splice These Wires As Long As They Are In A Metal Box?
Can I Use Butt Splicings On 6 And 8 Guage Wire?
Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-15-05, 05:29 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Branch circuit wiring can be spliced in a suitable enclosure. Metal is generally good, plastic is sometimes good.

You _cannot_ splice your service entrance cables. You can't even cut them without special training and tools. If you have to deal with the service entrance cables then call an electrician.

Splicing should be done with listed wire connectors; in theory this could be a butt splice, however the splices and tools to do this properly will be very expensive; those cheap splice kits that you see at auto stores are _not_ for home electrical wiring. The proper connectors to use are 'wire-nuts' for smaller wires, and various other specialized connectors for larger wires.

By the way that you ask the question, it is pretty clear to me that you don't have much background with electrical work.

Electrical work has many details that must _all_ be correct. Many of these details are things that you don't even know to be asking about. For example, you ask about using a metal box...but you don't ask about cable clamps, box fill, cable stapling requirements or ground bonding. Do not start this project without doing the proper background reading. Read at least a couple of books on electrical wiring, and ask questions about points that you don't understand.

Be sure to pull an appropriate permit for this work, and get the final results inspected. A second pair of eyes will be able to catch little mistakes that could get you killed.

Before tackling a large project with many circuits that need to be spliced, I suggest starting small and practising. You don't want to be in a situation where you have no electricity in your house, don't quite know what to do next, and are forced to 'make do' with bad work.

This is the sort of work that can be reasonably done 'DIY', but which requires background and practise. If you are not willing to invest the time in your training and safety, then hire a professional electrician and be done with it.

-Jon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: