Installing 3-way/4-way switch.

Old 12-15-05, 09:52 AM
Installing 3-way/4-way switch.

Here is my current situation. At my front door I have a 3 way switch, down the hallway I have a 4 way switch and at the top of the stairs is a dimmer switch which is wired as a two way switch. This box was wired for a 3-way switch.

What I want to do: I replaced the switch at the top of the stairs with a Leviton slide dimmer w/locator light 3-way switch. At the front door I replaced the switch with a Leviton Decora lighted 3-way rocker switch. The 4-way switch in the hallway was replaced with a Leviton Decora 4-way rocker switch.

My problem: Last night I installed the three switches but they didnít work the first time around. After making a change on the 3-way switch by the front door I can get them to work, kind of. The switches on the first floor can both turn on and off the lights. If I turn the lights off with either switch downstairs I can not turn on the light from the switch upstairs. Could I have installed the 4-way switch wrong? Is there a right way and a wrong way. The instructions that came with the switch weren't very clear about how to install the switch.

I thought the idea about using 3-way/4-way switches is that you can turn on/off from any of the three switches. Is this true? If it is true what can I possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 10:27 AM
Your problem is that you did not connect the wires properly.

At the three way switches you need to get the proper wire to the common terminal and the proper two wires to the traveler switches. At the four way switch you have both sets of travelers that need to get to the proper terminals.

You cannot connect wires based on where they were connected at the old switches. You must determine which are the travelers and which are the common wires.