changing switched outlet to unswitched and vice versa

Old 12-15-05, 02:10 PM
swindmill
Visiting Guest
changing switched outlet to unswitched and vice versa

I have a switched outlet that I would like to have continuous power rather than switched. I also have an outlet that I would like to have a switch for. Is it possible to make the wall switch control one outlet rather than the one it is now controlling?

I checked out the wiring, and the difference I see is that the switched outlet has a red wire, and the unswitched wire has a black wire attached rather than a red.

I'm not sure if these pictures help at all, but I've linked to them just in case:

switched outlet

unswitched

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 03:04 PM
I can't quite see in your picture: does the switched outlet have a black AND a red, in addition to the white wire?

Old 12-15-05, 04:14 PM
In order to do what you want you would need to rewire.

Old 12-16-05, 12:35 PM
swindmill
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by 594tough
I can't quite see in your picture: does the switched outlet have a black AND a red, in addition to the white wire?
No, the switched outlet has only red and white wires connected.

If I can't do this without rewiring, is there a way to make the switched outlet simply always be on? My home theater power source is connected to the switched outlet, so accidentally hitting the switch turns it all off and this is a huge pain.

Old 12-16-05, 01:37 PM
The pictures are too small to see anything. More details are needed.
Do you know how the cable run between the receptacles and the switches?
If the power wire to the now unswitched recptacles connects to the switched receptacle this might be a very simple change.

Old 12-16-05, 02:32 PM
The black wire that is in the box (bot not connected to the receptacle) has constant power to it.

My suggestion is that you leave the red wire connected to the top half of the receptacle, and that you connect the black wire (using a pigtail) to the bottom half of the receptacle. Break the tab between the two brass screws of the receptacle.

The top half of the receptacle will be switched, the bottom half will be unswitched.

Old 12-16-05, 03:02 PM
swindmill
Visiting Guest
racraft: could you explain exactly how I would do this? There are 3 black wires capped together in the switched box; which one would I connect to the receptacle? (I'm not sure what "pigtail" refers to, so perhaps that is where I'm confused)

I can provide more detail if it would help, but if I can't make the other receptacle switched without rewiring, then I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Old 12-16-05, 03:10 PM
A pigtail is a short piece of wire. In your picture, the white wire that connects to the receptacle is a pigtail. Make a pigtail using a piece of 14 gage black wire and use it to connect the group of black wires to the bottom brass screw. You will need a wire nut and the pigtail.