Garage/Outdoor outlets dead

Old 12-16-05, 09:27 AM
rrogers
Visiting Guest
Garage/Outdoor outlets dead

My garage/outdoor outlets are dead. Gfi plug has been reset. Breaker has been reset. Plugs are still dead. Problem initiated by plugging in Christmas lights during rain.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-05, 09:53 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Was the breaker tripped? If so, did you push it all the way to OFF, then back to ON?

Was the GFCI receptical tripped?

What have you got in the way of electrical testers? Three prong receptical meter? Analog multi-meter? Simple neon tester?

Old 12-16-05, 09:59 AM
rrogers
Visiting Guest
GFI was tripped. The breaker was not tripped. No testing equipment on hand, but can get whatever needed to help diagnose.

Old 12-16-05, 10:05 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check for a second GFCI somewhere between the garage and circuit breaker.
When I first bought my home I about went nuts with a dead GFCI on the front porch, until I discovered that it was fed by another GFCI - in the garage - 40' from the front porch.

Old 12-16-05, 10:09 AM
C
OK, so the GFCI receptical did its job correctly. Are you sure you succeeded in resetting it? If you press the test button, does the reset button pop out? If so, press the reset button again.

If everything is still dead, I would recommend you get a couple of testers. These are my suggestions: A plug in tester like this will allow you to test recepticals. A neon tester similar to this is useful when testing actual wires.

If it is a long drive to the hardware store, go ahead and pick up a new GFCI receptical just in case the one you have is bad. Get a wirestripper too if you don't have one.

I suspect you may find that the GFCI receptical itself is working, but that some or all of the "downstream" recepticals are not working. We'll wait until you have the tools to proceed.

Old 12-16-05, 10:10 AM
C
Goldstar makes a good point...Be SURE there are no other GFCI recepticals in the mix here. There shouldn't be, but you never know.

Old 12-16-05, 10:19 AM
rrogers
Visiting Guest
I'll look for a second GFCI outlet. I'll get the proper equipment and get back with any further info. Thanks!

Old 12-16-05, 01:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I bet it's a second GFCI receptacle somewhere. Check the garage, basement, crawlspace, kitchen, bathroom(s), and outdoor receptacles.

Old 12-16-05, 01:24 PM
B
If you had a continuity tester you could check for continuity between neutral and ground. A GFI will open the hot and the neutral when it is tripped a breaker will open only the hot.