Submetering layout...

Old 12-16-05, 12:15 PM
Submetering layout...

I still havn't been able to find a kilowatt meter but i'm tracking one down.

i wanted to check my plan here before i bought it...

There is a 200amp meter and box on the outside of this house. My friend wants a sub meter in the basement apartment. I was going to put in a 100 amp breaker, run 100amp wire from that into the apartment, connect it to a 100amp sub meter and breaker box and distribute the appartments electricity from there.

how does that sound?

thanks,
max

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-05, 12:40 PM
Disregarding for a moment the legality of doing this, a quick check of eBay yielded at least a dozen listings for self-contained socket style kwh meters. Most were the (rapidly becoming obsolete) five dial CL 100 or 200 meters. There were a couple with cyclometer (similar to the odometer in your car - much easier to read) registers. There were also some older A-base style meters. Several of them were for lots of 4 meters. Some of the listings for 1 meter offered free shipping.

Are you in the process of building this basement apartment or will it be a retrofit project (as far as separating out the electrical)? If it is a retrofit, chances are there will be some items impossible to practically separate out.

Old 12-16-05, 01:00 PM
thanks alittle,

we're doing a retrofit/remodel on the basement. The owner (who is currently living upstairs with roommates) wants to live alone in the apartment and just thought it would be good to have a submeter to have an idea of the electrical usage.

why do you say that some items are hard to separate out on a retrofit?

is my plan not koser in your opinion?
100A breaker to 200A submeter and sub panel - distributed to 2nd apartment.

Old 12-16-05, 01:18 PM
If the basement has its own heating, air conditioning and water heating equipment, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I guess even if it doesn't and your goal is only to get a rough idea of the basement usage, you'll at least more than you know now.

Old 12-16-05, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most states have laws regarding submetering for apartments, so I doubt that your inspector will pass this installation unless you follow your state's submetering laws. These are usually designed to keep landlords from cheating the renters on utility bills. This doesn't really apply to your situation, but the inspector probably will not allow it "just in case" the owner decides to rent to apartment to someone else down the road.