Baseboard heater replacement

Old 12-17-05, 09:35 AM
darinstarr
Visiting Guest
Baseboard heater replacement

I am about to replace baseboard heating units in both bedrooms of our old house and wanted to verify a couple basics before proceeding.

Both heaters are (were) on the same circuit. One is an old wall heater that has scorch marks on a small section of it (has never worked since we moved in), wires are still hooked up. The other room has wiring abandoned in the wall with a blank installed, no heater is present. I followed the cable for the circuit under the house, traced it into the service panel and found it abandoned inside the panel with wire nuts. I'm just going to replace the cabling since I don't know why they disconnected it (it looks incredibly old anyway).

My actual questions:

1. Based on room sizes I am planning on a 1000W and a 750W heater. If my math is correct a double-pole 15A breaker can support a max load of 3600W in a 240V configuration, so I should be fine with that, yes?

2. Can I use 14/2 (which I already have), or should I get 12/2?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 12:16 PM
A circuit should not be designed with a continuous load in excess of 80%. So a double pole 20 amp would be necessary, with 12 gauge wire.