GFCI Problems

Old 12-17-05, 10:43 AM
GFCI Problems

I have 2 receptacles on my front porch on each side of the door....They are both gfci...and I believe they are on the same circuit..(not sure why there are 2 of them) I have my christmas lights plugged into both sides....one side quit working and tripped..I was unable to reset...I went to the other side and tested it..it also trippped and I was also unable to reset...I checked the breaker and it was fine... any idea's on way I'm unable to reset the GFCI's...could they be bad?....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a suspicion that you have another GFI ahead of these two that has tripped. Look for any other outside or garage receptacles that do not work and see if it is a tripped GFI.

Old 12-17-05, 03:36 PM
I will look down the line to check other receptacles...would this be a problem if two GFCI's were on the same circuit?...

Old 12-17-05, 04:25 PM
No, it would not be a problem to have two GFCIs in series. A lot of hairdryers are now coming with a GFCI plug.
When you try to reset the GFCI outlets, is there anything plugged into them?
If you don't find any other GFCI outlets or breakers on this circuit that are also tripped, check for voltage into the outside GFCI outlets.

Old 12-17-05, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tom, no, but it is annoying when more than one GFI is protectiong a circuit, for the reason your are expereincing.
If this turns out to be the case you can simply wire each GFI to the "LINE" terminals. This way one is not protecting the rest.

Old 12-20-05, 10:59 AM
Hmmm....

Christmas lights may have moisture getting into the "extension" plugs. That will always cause a problem with GFCI's and even though it might not trip immediately (if there's not too much moisture), the GFCI might still refuse to reset until the problem is corrected.