GFCI Tripping

Old 12-17-05, 10:56 AM
firefighter376
Visiting Guest
GFCI Tripping

My service just bought a new ambulance, and had it set up with two shorelines-one for an onboard 110v electric heater, the other for the engine block heater, battery maintainer, interior receptacles-both run to a small 2 breaker box inside the truck. The shorelines run from an exterior GFCI outlet. Every time we plug in both lines, the GFCI trips. What's the deal? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by firefighter376
My service just bought a new ambulance, and had it set up with two shorelines-one for an onboard 110v electric heater, the other for the engine block heater, battery maintainer, interior receptacles-both run to a small 2 breaker box inside the truck. The shorelines run from an exterior GFCI outlet. Every time we plug in both lines, the GFCI trips. What's the deal? Thanks in advance for your help.
Ahoy.

If your separate GFIs are feeding a load that has a common neutral, you will probably need to separate the neutrals. Check the "2-breaker box" to see if that's the case. If you can't fix it at that point, maybe you can get a bigger GFI and a single "shoreline".

Also, I am not familiar with mobile neutral and grounding practices, but the existence of alternate paths might cause return current to follow a different route than the GFI wants.

Old 12-17-05, 12:55 PM
firefighter376
Visiting Guest
Thanks. We thought that might be the issue.