Code question: LV Conduit & furnace exhaust

Old 12-18-05, 09:20 PM
Code question: LV Conduit & furnace exhaust

I want to run a 4" or 2 2" low voltage conduit lines from my basement to my attict (2 floors). There is a chase that I can use, the only problem is that I'll be within inches of the exhaust stack of my furnace. What does code say about clearance in this type of situation?

Thanks,

Damon

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Merlin
I want to run a 4" or 2 2" low voltage conduit lines from my basement to my attict (2 floors). There is a chase that I can use, the only problem is that I'll be within inches of the exhaust stack of my furnace. What does code say about clearance in this type of situation?

Thanks,

Damon
This Old House had a similar segment last week. They were running PVC plumbing vents near a double-wall fireplace chimney (stainless inner, galvanized outer I think). The challenge in the 18" wide chase was to make sure there was 1-1/2" (I think, it was either 1-1/4 or 1-1/2) between the framing & chimney on one side, and also 1-1/2" on the other side between the plumbing vents and the chimney.

That was in MA and I suspect the controlling code applies to the chimney. You should check with your local authority as these codes can vary widely. You may also wish to post in an HVAC forum.