panel to subpanel and submeter setup?

Old 12-20-05, 03:09 AM
panel to subpanel and submeter setup?

hello everyone,
i just want to check my plan with you.
i want to branch a 100 or a 60A breaker off of the main panel outside the house to a sub panel in a new apartment with a watthour meter on it.

it seems that breakers that are 60A or 100A are double pole breakers.

since the watthour meter and sub panel are not connecting to the mains, how do i rig this?

do i run two positives off of the breaker to the two connects of the watthour meter and run the ground to the busbar? i do not need 240 in the apartment.

thanks for your advice,
max

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 05:33 AM
Max, I suggest that you read a lot more before going any further. You are tackling a very involved project which must be done safely and properly.

Yes, you do need 240 in your apartment. You may not have any 240 volt loads to power, but you do need 240. Feeding a sub panel with 240 volts allows for smaller wires for the same amount of available 120 volt power. Feeding a sub panel with 240 volts allows for less voltage drop than you will see with an equivalent 120 volt load. And finally, while you may not need 240 volts now, you may later on. You would then kick yourself for not having run it when you did the install.

As for your other comment, there are no positive wires in ac power. There are also no negatives. You have hot wires, ground wires and grounded wires. For a 120 volt circuit you need one of each. For a 240 volt circuit you need one of each, plus an extra hot wire from the other side of the system 240 volts.

Old 12-20-05, 05:57 AM
Reading recommendations - why you should read them:

1. Wiring Simplified by H.C. Richter et al - Good primer
2. Electrical Wiring Residential by Ray Mullin - Good examples and illustrations
3. Your local (municipal) electrical code - Special local requirements
4. Your state electrical code - State requirements & what applies (and not) from NEC. Also determines which NEC is currently in use (Usually 1999, 2003, or 2005)
5. National Electrical Code [year] Edition by the National Fire Protection Association - Gives the specifics to which the other publications refer

Local and state codes are sometimes online, but sometimes you have to buy them from the government.
Wiring Simplified is online, at some big boxes.
Other two from the publisher, online, or possibly library.