Plugging Multi receptacle adapter into CFCI

Old 12-20-05, 05:00 PM
Plugging Multi receptacle adapter into CFCI

I have a 2-receptacle GFCI in my kitchen that I want to add two additional outlets. It will be used for a phone, toaster oven, coffee maker and various other small electrical appliances. 95% of the time there will be only the first three appliances using the outlet.

The outlet is tiled in so I can't expand to a four receptacle outlet, is it okay to plug one of those multi-outlet adapters into the GFCI? Will the GFCI still be active?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 05:05 PM
It probably is not code because you will block the test/reset buttons. You might even have trouble with the adapter tripping the GFCI if you seat it snugly. In addition, you might have trouble using a toaster an microwave at the same time on any one circuit.

Unfortunately you are a MODERN consumer living in an outdated house.

Old 12-20-05, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Stumped1
is it okay to plug one of those multi-outlet adapters into the GFCI? Will the GFCI still be active?
I think multi-outlet adapters, like extension cords, are for temporary use only. I do not know if temporary is defined anywhere.

If you are talking about a power strip, as opposed to an adapter that physically mounts over the receptacle, you can get one that has a 15A circuit breaker and a flat offset plug that may not block the GFCI reset buttons.

The GFCI will still be active.

For a more permanent solution you could also add a 2- or 3-gang wiremold box (2348-2 or 2348-3) over your existing box and then wire more receps to the LOAD side of the GFCI. A plastic box is easier than metal because you don't have to ground it. Make sure your GFCI will fit in that depth box before you start working on it.

It's also not that tough to cut thru tile with a hacksaw blade or a sawzall as long as you don't hit the wires! You could then put in a remodeler box any size you want.

Old 12-27-05, 06:11 AM
I think adding the adapter or another box are both accidents looking for a place to happen. Forget the adapter altogether and only add another box if you are willing to update the wiring too. Usually there are too many high current devices in a kitchen to run off of one outlet. A toaster and microwave together could easily cause an overload condition. Its a shame even new houses are built without much forethought to wiring a kitchen. A few years ago when we remodeled our kitchen I replaced 3 single outlets all wired to one breaker with 3 double duplexs wired with shared neutral circuits, each with there own breaker of course. Really seemed like some overkill at the time but now I dont have to worry about how my wife is going to arrange the kitchen. She could almost have everything plug into one station and never worry about overloading.

Old 12-27-05, 02:08 PM
malcolmd
Visiting Guest
I redid my kitchen about 7 years ago and the code required dedicated 20A circuits to all countertop areas. Just do the math and you will see you can't make toast and coffee on the same circuit without tripping the breaker.