Electric Fireplace Insert

Old 12-22-05, 10:43 AM
Question Electric Fireplace Insert

My wife wants me to install an Electric Fireplace Insert as a Built-in directly below our 42" plasma TV and sterio equipment. This Firplace uses a max of 1200 watts in heating mode and much less in non-heat (visual only).

I don't think we'll use the heat mode very much, but my concern is that the circuit in this area is only 15 amps and I'm not sure how much power is available if the TV, DVD player and Surround-Sound system are all in use. Theoretically, the fireplace would only draw about 10 amps maximum. Is it reasonable to think I could run the other equipment on less than 5 amps total?

Because of the location it would be a real pain to run another circuit, and there's no way to upgrade the existing circuit to 20 amps.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-05, 10:49 AM
You need another circuit for all that load.

Old 12-22-05, 10:55 AM
Thanks, darn-it.

Old 12-22-05, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remember that heat rises. Make sure you don't toast that high priced plasma TV.

Old 12-22-05, 11:09 AM
No problem there. The TV and other equipment is separated adequately from the FP and well ventilated.

Old 12-22-05, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would bet that the fireplace insert specifies a dedicated circuit in the installation instructions. If so, the manufacturer's requirements must be met to have a code-compliant installation.

Old 12-22-05, 01:58 PM
Nope, simply says to plug into any 15 amp convenience outlet. These are typically sold with a wooden surround/mantle as a package to be plugged in to a wall outlet.

In may case, I'm not getting the surround but simply recessing it into an area where there is an outlet - which happens to be the only outlet on that circuit.

The problem is that in "flame-only" mode it uses just 300 watts but in "heat" mode it uses 1200 watts. Maybe I could put a device on that would prevent or shut-off the heat mode if there wasn't sufficient power available, but probably the best solution will be to bite the bullet and somehow run the extra circuit.

Unfortunatly, that means running about 40 feet of 14/2 wg, half of which will have to go thru a finished soffit in a room downstairs. I hate the idea of having to cut thru that soffit in order to run that cable. Even then, it won't be a simple task to get it from there to the area above because there's about a 4' floor cantilever to the desired location.

Old 12-22-05, 04:41 PM
A "power minder" could be complex and expensive to have created and installed. Frankly, installing a dedicated circuit would be electrically simpler.