Circuit breaker activates at slightest load on line

Old 12-23-05, 09:04 AM
Keezar
Visiting Guest
Circuit breaker activates at slightest load on line

I have a office in my home on a single circuit. I have unplugged everything /turned all switchs off and when I reset the circuit breaker it holds.

However, even the sligthest load on the line throws the breaker. I replaced the 15amp/arc breaker, thinking the original was defective...unfortunately the problem remains.

I suspect a defective outlet or switch somewhere in the line but have had no problems with any in the past. Am I correct? Is there a convenient way to find the defective one or is it a replace one by one process till the problem is corrected?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-05, 10:22 AM
Divide and conquer. Try on of these approaches.

Start at the first junction box and work towards the last. Disconnect everything except the power feed to the junction box. Does the problem still exist? if not, then add the next junction box. When the problem does surface, it will be at the 'current' last junction box or the wiring from the previous location to the current box.

Start at the middle of the circuit. Determine whether the problem is before or after the current junction box. Work towards the end with the problem.

Old 12-23-05, 10:44 AM
Is this an AFCI breaker?

If so, make sure it's wired correctly - very different from standard breakers.
Then read my post about AFCI Problem - or not earlier in this forum.

The problem can be just about anyplace. It's caused by an arcing condition which might be a loose connection or a damaged wire/cable. A nail or screw in a wall that penetrates the cable could be at fault.