Kitchen Island

Old 12-24-05, 03:18 PM
Kitchen Island

Are you required to use 20 amp circuit on an island in the kitchen or can it be 15 amp? I know you need 2 small 20 amp appliance circuits which I have. But, the inspector reminded me I need receptacles on the island in the kitchen which has not yet been installed. Do you just stick the wire up through a hole in the floor and label it as future circuit to island yet to be installed?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 03:28 PM
The island needs to be on one of the kitchen counter top circuits, so it must be 20 amp.

Old 12-24-05, 03:29 PM
Yes, the island receptacles must be on a 20-amp circuit with nothing but receptacles on it. It follows the same rules as the other small appliance circuits.

Old 12-24-05, 09:47 PM
Do you just stick the wire up through a hole in the floor and label it as future circuit to island yet to be installed?
Yep, stub it up through the floor and label countertop or island. It is a good idea to determine the overall design of the island so that you can plan your receptacles and their location. Lots of times receptacles on islands are below the countertop but not more than 12" and not at all if the countertop extends out 6 inches or more from its base. I do not like below countertop receptacles, too many small children like to pull on the cords of the appliance plugged into them. I much prefer monument style or pedestal which places the receptacle at the same level or above the countertop on islands.