Battery charger keeps blowing fuse

Old 12-24-05, 04:17 PM
Battery charger keeps blowing fuse

I have a Ryobi cordless drill and the battery charger keeps blowing a .5 amp fuse. I keep replacing the fuse but it blows as soon as you plug in a battery to charge it. None of the components appear to be damaged from looking at them. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Bad transformer, bad SCR?
A new charger will cost $60 and I dont want to spend that kind of money when I am sure it will only cost me a few dollars or so to replace the bad component. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
battery charger keeps blowing fuse

I don't know why it blew the first fuse, but are you replacing the fuse with a time delay fuse? When you plug in the battery for charging there is a natural surge, and it may be blowing the fuse if it is not the proper one. Check the fuse type just to make sure. It should be a "slow blow" type.
Other than that, you may find a better bargain on one of the auction sites such as ebay for a used charger for your voltage battery.

Old 12-25-05, 07:22 AM
It might not be the charger. It could be the battery that is bad. Or it could be that the battery is bad AND it damaged the charger.