Working a HOT box

Old 12-25-05, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Working a HOT box

Am running a 50A RV service from service disconnect panel. Disconnect panel is hot from PC with a 200A disconnect that feeds service panel inside home. I will not work a hot box as I am not comfortable doing so. I am trying to add one 50A breaker to the hot service disconnect. I called a local electrical company and asked about cost to have them install breaker and hook up wiring to breaker. Was quoted about $85.00 for service call. Does this sound about right. I called three other companies about the same request and they did not want to do it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-05, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here, a typical union contractor that does residential service calls would charge $40 per half-hour plus materials to make a house call.

Other shops would be cheaper, though I don't know how much.

Old 12-25-05, 04:05 PM
cptkinguru
Visiting Guest
Around here (Portland, Oregon) most shops charge in the $85 range, some more, some less. Some charge a trip fee, or fuel surcharge if you please, of around $10. Time starts from the shop or my last job, which is usually about one half hour, some places charge travel time both directions. If you are really far away we will try to schedule you with one of the guys in your direction, he can hit your place in the morning and save you the travel time. If I have a used breaker in my van I will probably give it to you unless it's really an oddball. If you want a new breaker, of course, I will charge you for that. So the point is that the price really depends on your area and if the shop is willing to work with you a little bit.