Connecting wire to plug, what's black?

Old 12-26-05, 05:49 PM
willpowern
Visiting Guest
Connecting wire to plug, what's black?

My dog chewed the plug off of an iron and I went to home depot to get a new plug. The instructions say that one side of the plug should be attached to black. The cord that contains the wires has one side plain gray and one side that has a black line running down it interrupted by words that describe the wire. Is this the black wire?

Thanks,

Will

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
what's black

Common color code allows gray to be a neutral. But in your application, if you still have the plug, figure out which wire went to the narrow blade, and that will be your black wire. That is if the dog didn't swallow it.
Larry

Old 12-26-05, 06:48 PM
The normal cord convention is that the wire with the stripe or ribbing or words is the neutral, and would connect to the wider blade of the plug.

If you have any electrical test equipment, there are ways to verify that you get it correct.

Old 12-27-05, 02:13 PM
malcolmd
Visiting Guest
My Yorkie did the same thing to my iron. I went to an appliance repair and got a complete cord and opened the iron handle and replaced the whole wire. You may want to do the same. The iron is a big draw and you really want your connections made up correctly. Stranded cord tends to spread out when you tighten the screws on a replacement plug. Go for a replacement cord.