test&reset GFCI

Old 12-26-05, 05:42 PM
test&reset GFCI

I am unable to test/reset my gfci. The buttons don't seem to stay in nor do they pop out. Their is power coming in to the line. I am stumped!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 05:52 PM
If you plug in a radio or lamp, does it work?

Is the GFCI new, or has this same one been there for 10 years?

Why are you attempting to test and reset it? Have you had trouble? Did you just install it? Or are you just being a responsible homeowner?

Old 12-26-05, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson

Is the GFCI new, or has this same one been there for 10 years?

Why are you attempting to test and reset it? Have you had trouble? Did you just install it? Or are you just being a responsible homeowner?
The GFCI is newly installed. I had an upstairs water leak.

Old 12-26-05, 07:15 PM
I suspect you have line and load reversed. Do you know what I mean by that? Did you read the installation instructions that came with the GFCI?

Old 12-26-05, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
I suspect you have line and load reversed. Do you know what I mean by that? Did you read the installation instructions that came with the GFCI?

I am learning a lot these past 2 weeks and I have learned the difference between line and load. When I bought the new GFCI, the load screws and backwire screws had a tape around them, basically idiot proof. You don't understand, nothing was hooked up differently between before and after -- it's all the same. The garage doors don't work and neither do the lights on a voltage receptacle. The voltage receptacle light reads "OPEN NEUTRAL".

Old 12-27-05, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Open neutral means that the white wire is not connected correctly somewhere and the circuit is not complete.

Check any areas affected by the water leak.

Old 12-27-05, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible that some of your wiring is still wet, and the GFCI will not reset because of an actual ground fault. Check anywhere that water could have gotten into an electrical box, and dry it out with a hair dryer. Wiring can stay wet inside electrical boxes for weeks.

Old 12-27-05, 09:36 AM
The "open neutral" indication on your outlet tester is your primary clue. Find the open neutral.

Old 12-29-05, 05:26 AM
There are only 3 things on this circuit. 1 GFI and 2 GDO. When I remove the load off the GFCI, the receptacle still does not work with the receptacle tester reading open ground. When I hook up the load on the GFCI, the receptacle still has the same reading; but, the GDO has a hot wire. I suspect the neutral is open some where but I don't have a clue where. This whole mess was working fine before the flood. I'm stumped.

Old 12-29-05, 08:34 AM
The problem is most likely in one of the junction boxes on the circuit. It could be in any of the working receptacles, lights, switches or connection only boxes. I would start by looking the boxes that got wet first.

Old 12-29-05, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by joed
The problem is most likely in one of the junction boxes on the circuit. It could be in any of the working receptacles, lights, switches or connection only boxes. I would start by looking the boxes that got wet first.
If I remove the load from the GFCI, the GDO have no power; but, the GFCI does not reset and the receptacle test shows their is an open ground. How can that be when their is a GFCI connected directly to the subpanel?

Old 01-02-06, 07:46 AM
I found the problem. A loose neutral connection. Thanks