Garage Door Opener added - need receptacle

Old 12-26-05, 07:00 PM
Keetoman
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Opener added - need receptacle

Simple question I am sure but I want to do this right. I just had a garage door opener installed in my shop but I do not have a place to plug it in. I am temporarily using an extension cord.

My shop is wired throughout with 110v and 220v outlets and looking in the ceiling today, I found that I have a wire running right over the top of the opener that leads to the opposite side of the shop for more receptacles.

My question is, how and what materials/tools do I need to use this wire. Can it be spliced into? The ceiling is drywall so I will have to add the box into the dry wall.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 07:11 PM
A GDO uses quite a bit of power, so you just can't put it on any random circuit. It would usually be best to run a new circuit for the GDO (it's not that hard). But if you really want to tap this existing circuit, the first thing to do is to figure out what is already on the circuit. Then you need to figure out if this cable running over the GDO has any slack in it, and if so, how much. And tell us whether this existing circuit is a 15-amp or 20-amp circuit.

One more thing. Check with your building department to see if you can legally do this work yourself.

Old 12-27-05, 07:26 PM
Keetoman
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
A GDO uses quite a bit of power, so you just can't put it on any random circuit. It would usually be best to run a new circuit for the GDO (it's not that hard). But if you really want to tap this existing circuit, the first thing to do is to figure out what is already on the circuit. Then you need to figure out if this cable running over the GDO has any slack in it, and if so, how much. And tell us whether this existing circuit is a 15-amp or 20-amp circuit.

One more thing. Check with your building department to see if you can legally do this work yourself.
Thanks John, I will get my cousin who is an electrical contractor to do the job. I don't want to take the chane of burning my shop to the ground.