More light from garage door opener

Old 12-27-05, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More light from garage door opener

I have a garage door opener with a single light bulb socket in it. The light socket is only rated for up to 75W light bulbs. This isn't really enough light for a 2 car garage. I tried compact fluorescents with higher lumen output... but they aren't exactly for vibrating garage door openers and fail quickly.

If I bought a new opener, I'd buy one with two lights instead of one...

So what I need is a way to get 150W or so out of a 75W socket... which can't really happen (at least not safely). So I was thinking of using a relay device such that the garage door opener doesn't really power the bulbs, but does determine whether they are on or off. I could figure out how to wire up such a device, but I wanted to know if there were any devices like this manufactured already.

Ideally, some kind of "quick connect" device would be nice. Basically something like a drop cord where one end screwed into the garage door opener light bulb socket. The other end screwed into the light socket in the ceiling of the garage and also had a socket for screwing in a light bulb. Much like those plasting things with a pull-cord and 110v 2-prong outlet on the side do... but where the power from the garage door opener turns the light on and off instead of the pull cord.

Does anything like this exist?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-05, 10:56 PM
Don't expect your GDO to provide all the light in your garage. If you need more light, install more fixtures. It's not hard. Shop lights plugged into ceiling receptacles are usually best. Aren't there existing lights in the ceiling (other than the GDO)?

If you absolutely need them to work off the same control as the opener (not sure why this would be necessary), then buy auxiliary receivers from the GDO manufacturer.

Old 12-28-05, 09:08 AM
If you don't have a problem with using two transmitters, Radio Shack has a "wireless" control for 120 volt outlets.

Old 12-28-05, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
John & Pat are correct in that you should not expect your GDO to supply all your lighting. With that said however, you are on to something with your idea. What you need is a socket adaptor. It has a screw base to fit in the bulb socket, and an outlet you can plug into. Any hardware store has them for a buck or two. You could then hang, for example, a fluorescent shop light nearby, and plug it into that outlet.
Not the ideal solution, but it would work.

Old 12-30-05, 07:47 PM
I've got a total of 300W of light bulbs in the garage already on a switch by the door that enters the house. That provides plenty of light when they are on. The problem is that those lights don't come on when the garage door opens. And by the time I can navigate the garage to get to the switch, I'm in the house, so what's the point?

The real issue isn't so much the amount of light from the garage door opener. It's where the light bulb (and opener) are placed and the beams on the ceiling and the support pole in the middle of the garage that cast dark shadows over half the garage. I was trying to solve the problem with more light similar to what is present when the standard overhead lights are on.

Perhaps I should re-think this problem and consider light placement more so than the total amount of light present. Perhaps installing smaller watt light bulbs in multiple locations (not to exceed the rated 75W for the opener) and plug those into the garage door opener will avoid the shadows that create bruises on my shins when I try to get in the house.

Old 12-30-05, 07:53 PM
Here's another idea. Replace the wall switch that controls the overhead lights with a motion sensing switch. It will detect your car pulling into the garage and turn on the overhead lights.

There are other ideas in this thread too which will serve your needs and are also better than trying to tie more lights into the GDO.