"Hiding" the Circuit Breaker Panel

Old 12-29-05, 09:46 PM
"Hiding" the Circuit Breaker Panel

I am finishing my basement. I intend on framing a closet around my breaker panel and installing some sort of access door to the panel. (panel will be inside closet on the back wall) Is this an aceptable method?
thanks for any advice.
FF

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-05, 10:01 PM
There are a number of potential red flags in your post. A lot depends on what kind of closet this is. Panels are prohibited in clothes closets, or in closets containing ignitable material. Furthermore, you must maintain a clear space 30" wide, 36" deep, and 6'6" high around the panel where you cannot put anything. If these conditions do not pose a problem, then you can put the panel in the closet. Make sure you put a light in the closet.

Old 12-30-05, 06:49 AM
Light in closet has another set rules. Use flourescent fixture and yu will be OK.

Old 12-30-05, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply.......
The panel is near the basement exterior door and I guess my thought was to put a utility closet there..... not really a chlothes closet per say mainly just to hide the panel as well as space for typical items you'd store near the "back door" and the occasional pair of boots or jacket on a hook but it sounds like that is a no-no....... hmmmm...... "not ignitable" pretty much limits this. I better rethink this....any ideas on how to make this panel cosmetically more friendlt to a family room?
Thanks FF

Old 12-30-05, 08:44 AM
Put a picture over the panel. Some people even work the picture into the door of the panel.

Old 12-30-05, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by FairwayFatty
any ideas on how to make this panel cosmetically more friendlt to a family room?
Thanks FF
Cutler-Hammer makes a Decorator Cover Assembly for the Type CH loadcenter. Other mfgrs. may do something similar.
http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASAp...87436&Sec=home

Old 12-30-05, 06:54 PM
Thanks ..... there are some access panels I have found but they are a bit pricy. Here is my panel/panels

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo4iz1/

Old 12-30-05, 07:54 PM
What is the depth from the studs (?) on the left to the front of the panels? If it's greater than 36" I'd go with John Nelson's suggestion: A utility closet as long as you don't equip it for or intend to use it for storage of clothes or other easily ignitible material [240-24(d)]. Ideally there would be nothing in there. Of course, if someone comes along later and puts something in there, make sure it's gone by the time the inspectors visit.

NEC Sec. 110-26 outlines most of the requirements. Since you have two panels, it might be relevant that the 30" width requirement is actually 30" or the width of the panel, whichever is greater. [110-26(a)(2)].

Old 01-01-06, 09:33 AM
FairwayFatty,

Ever thought about using cabinet door panel(s) with hinges? You can buy these seperately.

These can be purchased for a reasonable amount. Install them or just one so you can gain full access. I'm sure this would look great and still allow access. Oversized doors to cover both power panels.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-01-06, 07:20 PM
I'd go with racraft's suggestion - a picture (or maybe a marker board or cork board) over the panel. You could even hinge it so that it swings open, kind of like the oil paintings in the movies that swing away to expose the safe...

Old 01-01-06, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all of the great input.... it has really made me think it thru. There is plenty of depth to put the closet in and I framed that wall with 2 x 8's so I could recess the panel with some sort of door. I still have some other framing to do and as I do that I'll make up my mind. Closet would be nice but I know how they tend to fill with junk. Cabinet door would also work well (and less work)I was thnking I could put the dart board there. Again thanks for the tips as I had no idea about the "ignitable" factor and though I intended on putting a light I did not realize it should be fluorecent.
Thanks again, FF

Old 01-01-06, 08:24 PM
I don't have an answer to your question, but I had to post that your boxes/wiring is done very nice. And the framing in your basement is also quite impressive. Did your double up every other joist? I'm very impressed.

Old 01-01-06, 08:33 PM
No the light does not need to be fluorescent. That applies to small clothes closets, and this isn't a clothes closet.