Asbestos in old knob and tube insulation

Old 12-30-05, 01:21 PM

I just recently found out that there could be asbestos in basically any material in ones home if the material is older than 16 years. I also recently rewired my entire house and removed numerous garbage bags full of old knob and tube wires. These wires were coated in a black fabric which was coated again in a thick (1/2 '' diameter) crumbly black material. If anyone has experience in this field I would love to know if this wire could have asbestos in it.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-05, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just recently found out that there could be asbestos in basically any material in ones home if the material is older than 16 years.
This is true, however only asbestos products which can release dust are hazardous. Solid asbestos products like vinyl flooring or lap siding are not considered hazardous.

Yes, some knob-and-tube insulation has asbestos in it. Usually it is the type that is a white or brown coating material with black fabric sheathing over top. I do not know if this type of asbestos is considered a hazard or if it is one of the acceptacle forms of asbestos.

Old 12-31-05, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

The EPD just made us spend over $10,000 to have vinyl flooring removed from an old educational building in our church which was scheduled for demolition. They had the building sealed up and sealed off like a nuclear disaster area, so first hand, asbestos is considered asbestos. But, like you, I don't think the coating on the wiring would cause a disaster, if proper breathing protection is in place. Since you have it in bags, keep them there, tape them up and dispose of them.

Old 12-31-05, 07:19 AM
asbestos is considered asbestos
Not necessarily. They didn't make you remove it prior to the demolition did they?
If undisturbed it is relatively safe for years. The fibers are the problem.

The reason for the tent up (which is not nearly as common these days) is that removing it usually causes it to get broken and cause dust.
The reason they wanted it removed was also so it didn't get broken and ground up with all the other construction debris.

Old 12-31-05, 10:59 AM
asbestos

Yep, we had to remove all the floor tile before demolition could proceed. And we used the same argument you posed, but in the end guess who won? Not only that, but we had to remove the carpet covering the tile before they would even tent up to remove the tile. Of course 90% of the tile came up with the glue on the carpet, so duh!

Larry