Singer Sewing Machine Jammed

Old 12-31-05, 01:04 AM
thedoll
Visiting Guest
Question Singer Sewing Machine Jammed

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=Magenta]

my brand new sewing maching will only sew about twenty stiches and then jam up.

i cant use the wheel to manually walk it through and i know it has something to do with the bobbin, or surrounding counterparts...

im new to the world of sewing, so SOS in the sounds of a jammed sewing machine to anybody who can offer advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
singer sewing machine jammed

Your bobbin is sitting 90 degrees off center. Pull it out and rotate it until it locks in again. I am a nail driver by trade, but I had to set my wife's machine up for her last week, and I did the same thing, until I reset the bobbin. If you slowly turn your wheel, you will see the ear of the bobbin pointing up until it locks up. Turn it to the left until it reseats. Post back if that works or not.

Old 12-31-05, 07:55 PM
Sewing

If that doesn't work, then unthread the top of the machine and redo it. Pay very close attention to the manual. My machine has a tension "plate" for lack of a better term, a slot in a wheeliemajig, and if you get in on the wrong side, you get that exact problem. DO NOT mess with tension screws either above or in the bobbin. If it worked before, it is not threaded correctly, and if it never worked and you bought it used, take it to a shop.

Old 12-31-05, 08:02 PM
It has been a long time, so I forget the correct terms. But there are at least 2 tension adjustments on most machines. These are "operator" adjustments, right up on top and front. Once set, they dont need a lot of tweaking unless using very different fabrics or threads. Check the user manual for the machine, because if the thread tension is off, it really messes things up.