wiring

Old 01-01-06, 09:20 AM
wiring

I recently rewired my bathroom with all new wiring and fixtures, etc. I have one extra 14/2 box (originally going to be an extra light fixture) that is not
being used. Is it possible for me to use this for a wall-mount flat tv? Or, do I have to have 12/2 for the tv? This particular wire has it's own separate switch, and the entire circuit has a total of 4 overhead lights and one ventilation fan. The tv would be added to that circuit. Let me know if this is possible? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could you tell us if you installed the required 20 amp circuit for the bathroom receptacle?

Some would debate this as new bathroom receptacles should be on a 20 amp circuit, and yours would be on a 15 amp circuit violating the Code. Others would say that as long as you had the required circuit that this would be supplemental and exceeeds the Code requirement. Check with your inspection department for their take on this.

Either way a bathroom receptacle would require GFCI protection.

Old 01-01-06, 07:19 PM
I have an electrician who is going to add new breakers for the bathroom circuits. I was running the wire (w/ his advice) to save money. Anyway, if the outlet circuit (four outlets w/ the initial outlet being GFCI) and the overhead circuit are placed on 20 amp circuits, would the tv be acceptable w/ the 14/2 and switch for use?
Thanks.

Old 01-01-06, 07:28 PM
The problem is that the code requires bathroom receptacles in the U.S. to be GFCI-protected and on 20-amp circuits. It's easy enough to provide GFCI, but you can't use #14 on a 20-amp circuit. If it's possible to replace the cable back to the panel with #12, then you should certainly do that. If that's impractically difficult, then you could ask your inspector for an exception. He might say yes if you mount the receptacle directly behind the television, where it would be inaccessible for other uses.

Codes in the U.S. are written for a typical house. So far, a television in the bathroom is not typical. If it becomes more common, you might see some further exceptions in the code for this sort of thing.

Upon rereading your posts, it seems that you are already adding cable to the bathroom. So I strongly suggest you abandon the #14 and run an extra #12. It'll be a small increase in effort and cost, and you'll avoid all the code issues.

Old 01-02-06, 04:23 AM
Understood...thanks again for your help.