Wall Outlet - GFCI Protected Outlet

Old 01-01-06, 06:56 PM
davila99
Visiting Guest
Wall Outlet - GFCI Protected Outlet

I have what appeared to be a bad GFCI in my upstairs bathroom. When the power cord (prongs) of an electrical device were barely inserted, I got a power reading. When I pushed the prongs all the way in, no more power.

I have exchanged the upstairs GFCI outlet with another in a downstairs bathroom and the one in the upstairs bathroom which was the culprit, now works downstairs. The exchanged outlet downstairs which was installed upstairs has the same problem of power when prongs are inserted to resistance and then no power when pushed all the way in.

I guess it could be wiring, but any ideas?? Having taken apart and removed
and replaced two GFCI's, everthing looks normal upstairs. The upstairs GFCI was never tampered and worked with a hair dryer, last.

Very much perplexed.............Ideas would be welcome...

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 07:07 PM
You speak in riddles. That makes it hard to figure out the puzzle. What is the "electrical device"? What do you mean by "a power reading"?

Old 01-01-06, 08:43 PM
davila99
Visiting Guest
Riddle Question

Thus has do do with the GFCI or power outlet usually found in bathrooms.
They can "trip" and have to be reset.

Please re read my original post.

I hope I answered your question...

Old 01-01-06, 08:49 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the answer to either of my questions.

Old 01-01-06, 11:31 PM
davila99
Visiting Guest
Electrical device was a shaver

Power reading was the "led" light on the shaver

Mike

Old 01-02-06, 07:07 AM
Mike,

John and I are confused about your post because of the wording you used.

Go to the store and buy a plug in type tester. Use it to the test the GFCI receptacle in your bathroom. It will provide better information than you can get from using a regular electric device. Plug the tester fully in.

My suspicion is that you have a loose wire somewhere on the circuit, or that your razor is simply bad.

Old 01-02-06, 09:01 AM
davila99
Visiting Guest
Background

The GFCI which was problematic was fine when moved downstairs. The
good one which was downstairs when switched upstairs has the same problems. The good GFCI will not work when attaching the electrical wires.

All electrical devices upstairs in that socket do not work. My point was that it is not the GFCI itself as I switched a known working GFCI into the upstairs bathroom slot where I had the problem to begin with. The known working
GFCI does not work in that slot which makes me think another issue.

I read elsewhere (another post) that something may be open on the particular bathroom circut where the problem resides.

How can I test this if I am thinking correctly??

Mike

PS: A hair blower was the last to work in that socket assembly.

Old 01-02-06, 09:20 AM
A hair dryer uses a lot of power. So do vacuum cleaners, which seem to be the other reported device that causes an open. High current devices cause heat. Heat eventually causes loose connections to open.

You most likely have an open connection, which opened due to the high current draw of the hair dryer. You need to find that open connection. A plug in tester will help you determine if it is an open neutral or an open hot wire.

You need to find the open connection. It doesn't seem to be at the bathroom receptacle. You need to check the other junction boxes on the circuit. It could be at a working receptacle or at a non-working one.

While checking move any back stabbed connections to screw terminals and remake any wire nutted connections.

Old 01-02-06, 09:20 AM
So are you saying that the GFCI trips when you plug in the shaver? If so, does the GFCI reset properly after you unplug the shaver? And then does it trip again when you plug in the hairdryer?

And do what Bob said. Buy the outlet tester.