Wiring Lights on single circuit

Old 01-02-06, 09:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Lights on single circuit

I am rewiring two rooms and a plug. Originally there is KT wiring which is being replaced.
I was able to fish a wire up to a plug outlet. From there I want to connect the power to the light box then to another light and finally to a plug. each Light is to be controlled by a switch.

PLUG 1 ---> LIGHT 1 ----> LIGHT 2 -----> PLUG 2 (end of circuit)

The line going from the PLUG1 will feed the power to LIGHT 1.

How do I rewire LIGHT1 to the switch for that Light so that I can continue to rewire LIGHT 2 and PLUG 2 on the same circuit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-06, 09:24 AM
R
Tell us where the switches are in your picture and we can help. We need to know if they are between the receptacles and the light or if they "tee" off the lights.

Old 01-02-06, 09:37 AM
C
Originally Posted by racraft
Tell us where the switches are in your picture and we can help. We need to know if they are between the receptacles and the light or if they "tee" off the lights.
The switch wire will run from the switch directly to the light.

So in the Light1 box I will have 3 set of 14/2 wires in total:

- 14/2 feed wire from PLUG1
- 14/2 switch wire from lightswitch to LIGHT1 box
- 14/2 wire going to feed LIGHT2

Not sure how to wire it properly so it can continue to feed LIGHT2 on a separate switch for that light and then eventually end at the PLUG2.

Old 01-02-06, 09:54 AM
R
At the light box make the following connections:

Connect the black wires from the receptacle boxes and the white switch wire together Re-identify the white wire as hot with a black or blue marker.

Connect the black switch wire to the hot light terminal or wire.

Connect the white wires from the receptacle boxes together and to the neutral light terminal or wire.

Connect all ground wires together and to the light and to the metal box.

At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch terminals. Re-identify the white wire as how with a black or blue marker. Connect the ground to the box and to the switch.

Last edited by racraft; 01-02-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 10:20 AM
C

Connect the black wires from the receptacle boxes and the white switch wire together.

Connect the white switch wire (that you re-identify as hot with a black or blue marker) to the hot light terminal or wire.

Connect the white wires from the receptacle boxes together and to the neutral light terminal or wire.

At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch terminals. Re-identify the white wire as how with a black or blue marker. Connect the ground to the box and to the switch.
Thank you!
Just to clarify for my own understanding.
- The white wire in the Light switch box will be marked with Black tape.
- The other end of this wire in the junction box (Light1) will be marked with Black tape.
- I am to connect all 3 black wires in the junction box (LIGHT1) and the white wire marked with black tape together. So I will have 4 wires connected together
- I am to connect the remaining 2 white wires together.
Am I correct up to this point?

- I can then pigtail a wire out of each of these connections to make it easier to connect to the light fixture once I purchase one.

Old 01-02-06, 01:54 PM
R
No. Reread my instructions.

Old 01-02-06, 02:02 PM
C
Bob...Chirkware here. I think you may have a typo in your instructions. You use the switch loop white wire twice @ the light, and never use the black switch loop wire.

Old 01-02-06, 02:16 PM
R
Originally Posted by chirkware
Bob...Chirkware here. I think you may have a typo in your instructions. You use the switch loop white wire twice @ the light, and never use the black switch loop wire.
Sorry, that's what I get for not proof-reading. My instructions have been corrected.

Old 01-03-06, 05:53 PM
C

Connect the black wires from the receptacle boxes and the white switch wire together Re-identify the white wire as hot with a black or blue marker.

Connect the black switch wire to the hot light terminal or wire.

Thank you. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: