2 and 3 gang box knock outs

Old 01-02-06, 07:44 PM
2 and 3 gang box knock outs

The knock outs on the 2 and 3 gang boxes are very difficult to remove so now I'm wondering if they should be just punched open and left with one side still attached. Or, should they be removed completely?

If they were supposed to be left in, how bad is it on the ones that I've already removed?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-06, 07:56 PM
Are you talking about plastic or metal boxes?

If metal boxes, remove them completely. That's necessary to be able to fit the require cable clamp or conduit connector.

They can't be that hard to remove, can they?

Old 01-02-06, 07:56 PM
Assuming you are talking about plastic boxes, you don't have to remove them. Actually, they function as a clamp. As long as you have stapled the cables going to them properly, there is no problem completely removing them.

Old 01-02-06, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by txdiyguy
Assuming you are talking about plastic boxes. tou don't have to remove them. Actually, they function as a clamp. As long as you have stapled the cables going to them properly, there is no problem completely removing them.
OK. I've been stapling each wire before it goes into the box. I thought they might be designed to act as a clamp because they were hard to remove.

Thanks

Brian

Old 01-03-06, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by bbarnhart
The knock outs on the 2 and 3 gang boxes are very difficult to remove so now I'm wondering if they should be just punched open and left with one side still attached. Or, should they be removed completely?

Do not remove them, they are the code required clamping mechanism.

Originally Posted by bbarnhart
If they were supposed to be left in, how bad is it on the ones that I've already removed?

It's not the end of the world, but it doesn't meet the minimum safety standards of the electrical code. It's easy enough and not very costly to replace them, especially if the drywall isn't up.