change 1/2 switched outlets to all hot

Old 01-03-06, 08:50 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
change 1/2 switched outlets to all hot

i have a room where the entire circuit of outlets are(were) 1/2 switched. in the process of some wall modifications i did not hook switch hot feed to outlet.I want to get all oulets in circuit back to NOT switched. Can I jump the constant hot wire on the first outlet in the circuit to what was the switched (in my case the upper) outlet? if so will that convert all other top outlets to constant hot?

Old 01-03-06, 09:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, one jumper will convert them all. The existing switch has to control some lighting, however, or you'll create a violation of the electrical code.

Old 01-03-06, 06:10 PM
A
question re code

thanks for info. i will tackle this project over weekend.question, is it required to have a light or something controlled by the switch to assure that live wire isnt just hanging around or is there another reaon?
i will let you know how i make out.

Old 01-03-06, 06:18 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, it's required to have a switched light or receptacle so you don't kill yourself walking through a dark room.

Old 01-16-06, 08:53 AM
A
Smile success!!!

well i finally (after 6 years) fixed my outlet problem. now have fully functional top and bottom outlets. thank you...great site

Tony

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: