Vanity Light

Old 01-03-06, 12:13 PM
Vanity Light

I have a vanity mirror with lights that have a two prong plug and thumb on/off swith. I want to hard wire the lights to a wall toggle switch. After I took it apart there are only black and white wires, no ground wire. I understand this means self grounding (polarized) plug. Without grounding supply line from circuit breaker to the electric box in wall, how do you ground the lights, or do I need to?

Thanks
George P.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-06, 12:25 PM
Your vanity mirror is old, and was manufactured before grounded circuits were everywhere in a residence. As such, it is grandfathered and does not need to be grounded. However, it would be safer it it were grounded.

You can add a switch by running 14-2 cable from the light to the switch and wiring as normal for a switch.

Old 01-03-06, 12:40 PM
Vanity Light

Maybe I did not explain it right. This is a new mirror with light that I am installing over my vanity. The plug is two prong like alot of power tools are.
One prong is larger than the other prong.

Old 01-03-06, 12:42 PM
I don't understand your question.

Old 01-03-06, 01:18 PM
The OP wants to try to somehoe connect a cord an plug connected fixture to an ungrounded box.

IMO, a 2 prong outlet should be installed there. One should not hardware a cord and plug fixtured that was designed and approved as such.

Old 01-03-06, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat
IMO, a 2 prong outlet should be installed there. One should not hardware a cord and plug fixtured that was designed and approved as such.
but if you do it anyway, use the same size cable as the rest of the circuit (ie, the power feed)(14/2 with a 15 amp breaker, 12/2 with a 20 amp breaker) and drill and screw in a short self-tapping screw onto the metal base of the light and secure the ground wire to it.

Old 01-04-06, 05:44 AM
Vanity Light

The power supply will be comming from a GFCI outlet. By grounding to the light, will this work and pass code?

Thanks very much