Carbon Monoxide detector

Old 01-03-06, 08:15 PM
tdjstl
Visiting Guest
Carbon Monoxide detector

I have a Kidde model number KN-COPP-3 carbon monoxide detector. The unit seems to work fine except that it eats up batteries very quickly. It has battery back up and when the battery is weak it sounds an alarm. The problem is that I only get about 1 - 2 months of battery use before the unit uses up the battery. I have two detectors and both wear out batteries quickly. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-06, 09:32 PM
That is a good product. Either it is not properly plugged into a 120 volt outlet, such that it is running on battery all of the time, or you are losing power to those outlets for many hours, or they are defective. Use and alkaline 9 volt battery for backup.
If you are sure that they have continuous 120 volt power, then call Kidde. They are probably still under warranty.

Old 01-04-06, 05:35 AM
I also have 2 of these detectors - both of them do the same thing as you describe. I think I've gotten batteries that last about 2 months at the most. Then it starts beeping and displaying the low battery - usually at 2am.

Old 01-04-06, 06:04 AM
tdjstl
Visiting Guest
I know the outlets are working properly. I just read some reviews on Amazon.com that also complain of the batteries not lasting more than 2 months. I know consumer reports rates these detectors highly, but there should be more reporting of this problem with the batteries. It is very annoying and costly to have to replace batteries that often.

Old 01-04-06, 09:31 PM
I have had that same detector in my house for several years, at least it sure looks the same as your model. The only time I have had to replace the backup battery is when we have had a prolonged power outage. It was after one of those outages last year when the unit started beeping for a low battery. My wife couldn't contain herself and ripped the battery out, wires and all. I also have several clients with that model and they have not had to replace batteries every 2 or 3 months. Maybe it was just a certain batch of them?

Old 01-06-06, 08:41 PM
tdjstl
Visiting Guest
Update:

I called Kidde customer service and explained the problem. They asked for the model no. and manufacture date and confirmed that my detectors are defective. They said certain detectors have a defective sensor that reads the battery strength and incorrectly signals the Low Battery warning. They are going to send me 2 new detectors. If anyone else out there is having this problem, call Kidde customer service. They are familiar with the problem and can help you. Mine were the Nighthawk model.