correctly installing baseboard heater

Old 01-04-06, 06:37 PM
rwilday
Visiting Guest
correctly installing baseboard heater

I am both looking at the connection of an existing 240v baseboard heater, and planning a new one. I am looking at the old because the previous homeowner has seems to like to violate codes and do stupid things, which much of I have corrected.

This guy ran 12/3 to a 2 pole thermostat, and ran 12/2 to the heater with white (normally neutral) to one power power supply, and the black to the other. Is it kosher to do this when white usually denotes neutral. I assume this makes sense the neutral is not needed and would just be capped off anyway. The guy also didn't connect the ground to the body of the heater and the box for the thermostat sits half inch in the wall rather than flush.....I'm correcting those issues, but I would like to understand the above question so I can correctly wire the new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-06, 06:45 PM
White in a two wire cable is permitted to be used as the second hot in a 240V circuit, but should be marked red or black.

Old 01-05-06, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a Sharpie marker to color in a few inches of the white wire in black, red or blue to indicate its use as a hot. This is legal when using a cable assembly which is manufactured with a white wire.