Switch box extension rings

Old 01-05-06, 05:16 PM
Switch box extension rings

Are these things generally legal for installation into a kitchen counter area?
I'd like to replace an old receptable (2 prong) with a GFCI outlet. This outlet will also be protecting one downstream outlet. The present box is not deep enough to hold the GFCI due to what appears to be nails running thru the box to (I assume) the stud.

In all truth the best thing is to replace the box but I really didn't want to rip out part of the wall at this time.

Thank You
wes

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-06, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Extension rings will give you more depth to install the GFCI. The only problem is that it will now protrude out from the wall. When installing the GFCI, be sure to attach the "other" outlet to the "load" terminals located on the bottom of the outlet. Another solution is to run a hack saw blade between the box and stud it is attached to, and cut off the nails, removing the box, replacing it with an "old work" box which may prove to be a little deeper. It will side in the same hole and will be held in place with plastic "ears" that turn up whenever you tighten the appropriate screws.

Old 01-06-06, 08:15 PM
Thanks Chandler, I went with your second option and got the "old work" box. Everything worked great.

wes