2 whites and 2 blacks in wall...help!!

Old 01-06-06, 06:31 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 2 whites and 2 blacks in wall...help!!

I was installing three wall receptacles that have the top plug as an on/off that can be used with a remote.

The first two that I did, in the wall, had 1 white, 1 black, and a ground. These, needless to say, were easy and I did them in about 5 minutes each.

When I went to do the final plug/receptacle in that room, when I took out the old receptacle, the wiring has two (2) whites, two (2) blacks and a ground.

I wasn't sure (being NO electrician) if I would fry the house by hooking up the black from the new receptacle to the TWO blacks in the wall and the white from the receptacle to the TWO whites in the wall (in each case having all three wires together and then with the nut on them.

Some help please? thanks in advance,

Old 01-06-06, 06:35 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The foolproof algorithm is to connect the new receptacle the same way the old one was connected, including duplicating the tabs on the sides.

Did you record the connections to the old receptacle before you removed it? Do you still have the old receptacle?

When you say "remote", do you mean a wireless remote? Or do you mean a remote wall switch?

Old 01-06-06, 09:00 AM
R
The problem is the old receptacle (which I haven't touched) has places on each side of the box where the 2 white wires and the 2 left wires are inserted. (they also have 2 ea. optional screws on each side for this).

The Heath/Zenith receptacle that I'm installing has wires coming FROM it; only one white and one black along with the ground.

The remote control turns the top wallplug of each receptacle on/off. (I put sconce lights in above these wallplates that have the wire hidden in a metal vine down to the wallplate). This is a wireless remote and has nothing to do with the wiring.

(as I think I mentioned, the first two receptacles only had 3 wires in each, black white and ground and were easy). This one has 2 black and 2 white, all separated as they are hooked to the receptacle.

Old 01-06-06, 09:48 AM
R
Those push in holes you see are called "backstab" connectors or "quickwire" connectors. You should not use these. These have a tendency to fail over time and result in an open connection. People are posting here all the time repotring no power, and it ends up being a failed backstab connection. Instead you should use the screw terminals.

In your case, connect the black wire to the two black wires and the white wire to the two white wires. Having two connections to a receptacle is quite common. It is how the power continues on to another receptacle. I bet if you check the directions for the receptacle you are installing they will address this case.

Old 01-06-06, 10:09 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Use wirenuts to connect the three blacks together, the three whites together and the three grounds together. This type of wiring is a pass-through or daisy-chain. Power is supplied by one of the two exsting cables and is carried on to other lights or receptacles via the other existing cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: