Is My Dryer Power Source too small???

Old 01-05-06, 06:30 PM
Is My Dryer Power Source too small???

Hello,
I have a new Roper by Whirlpool Super Capacity Dryer, and after 10 minutes of use it tripped the breaker. When I tried it again, the same thing happened after about another 10 minutes. I checked the receptacle connections and they all seem to be good, then I checked the power source coming to the dryer it is 10/3. Since the breaker is in my garage and the receptacle is in my house, I estimated that the 10/3 power source is approx. 35' in total length. I just bought and moved into my house, so I would assume the electrician who originally wired it did it correctly, but since I was having the problem, I thought I would check into everything. Is it possible that I do not have a large enough power source for this distance? Please let me know if you have any ideas to what my problem might be..........could it possibly be something wrong with my new dryer?
Thanks for your time,
Currie

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-06, 06:35 PM
10/3 is certainly O.K. for that distance. Is it on a 30 amp breaker? That is pretty standard.
Could also be something wrong with the dryer. Perhaps some packing/blocking material partially blocking the drum rotation. How about the venting?

Old 01-05-06, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your quick response.......but.....

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it is on a 30 amp breaker.
Any other ideas??? Maybe I should take it back and get a replacement.
Thanks,
Currie

Old 01-05-06, 06:53 PM
35 feet of 10/3 is fine.
As "alittle" said, check for blocked venting. With the dryer running, you should get a good strong air flow. If you cannot check it at the outlet, disconnect the vent pipe at the dryer, and try running with the vent disconnected.
If you get good air flow, try another 2-pole 30 amp breaker (if you have electric hot water, you could borrow that one). If it still trips, call the manufacturer or the store where you bought it.

Old 01-05-06, 07:51 PM
Thanks....

Thanks for the responses........
I checked the airflow, and the venting is great!!!
I will try a new breaker in the morning, and if that doesn't do the job, I will have to talk with Lowes about a replacement.
Thanks again for your time,
Currie

Old 01-06-06, 10:38 AM
Thumbs up Thanks Everyone.........Problem fixed! :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I replaced the breaker this morning, and my dryer works great now.
Thanks again,
Currie