Kitchen stove hook-up

Old 01-07-06, 02:55 PM
annep4865
Visiting Guest
Kitchen stove hook-up

I have an old stove which is currently hard wired. Someone gave me a relatively new stove that has a plug on the end of it because they went to gas. How do I install an outlet so I can use the new stove.

Old 01-07-06, 03:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anne,

You stated:
I have an old stove which is currently hard wired. Someone gave me a relatively new stove that has a plug on the end of it because they went to gas. How do I install an outlet so I can use the new stove.
We would probably need to know some more information here but I will give you some information.

1.) Obviously you would need to turn off the power to the range and verify this before doing any work on the cable to this unit.

2.) You will need to remove the cable from the existing range itself and tell us the following information.
A.) What size conductors are being used.
B.) What wiring method is being used ( Non-metalic, metal flex ( BX) and so on.
C.) How many conductors are coming out of the cable that connected to the existing range.

Chances are if it is older it will be a 3 wire setup which would mean you would need to upgrade the wiring to ta 4 wire setup. Now we obviously can't tell you what to do but it is much safer with the 4 wire setup.

Now..lets say you have 4 wires which if it is before 2000 the unit was built I would doubt it....I wont be specific on the date change because I do not want to simply quote NEC Code at you...

ok.....You will most certainly need a surface mount Range Plug but again we really need to know A,B and C above to take you any furthur as depending on what you have it gets more technical.

Old 01-07-06, 03:35 PM
T
Turn off the power. Check the new stove plug to see if it has 3 or 4 prongs. If it has 3, get yourself an outlet at your local homecenter and follow the instructions for installation. If it has 4, chances are your old wire has only 3. In this case you need a new cord and outlet for the range. Either way, check local codes to see if you are required to have 4.

Old 01-07-06, 03:50 PM
R
You must match the range to the wiring, not the other way around. If the wiring has four wires then you need a four wire plug and a four wire receptacle. If the wiring is three wire then you need a three wire cord and plug.

I think you can argue that since a receptacle is being installed that the receptacle must be four wire, but I also think that leaving a three wire cable in place and wiring to that would be allowed.

Old 01-07-06, 04:12 PM
Rac,

In existing installations,The practice of using the grounded ( neutral ) conductor can continue to used to ground (bond) the frame of electric ranges, wall-mount ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, or clothes dryers.

If the range you are buying is a 4 wire range make sure you do the correct methods of converting it to a 3 wire for your existing wiring...doing it wrong will give you NO protection...or even less than you actually do have anyway.

The unsafe practice began in 1943 and existed until 1996 when it was no longer allowed ( 250.140 NEC )

This is why I wanted to know what you actually have going to the range....chances are it is 3 wire but you just never know.....because if it happen to be 4 wire.....use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: