generator transfer switch

Old 01-07-06, 09:04 AM
generator transfer switch

I bought a briggs and stratton 12 kw standby generator
and a reliance 150 amp main panel with a built in manual transfer switch.

problem L1 N L2 G ==== 220 1 amp circuit that is connected to the gen. circuit board to charge the battery and when utility power is lost the generator will start.
i figure i will need 2 main breakers. I will have to tap off inside the meter can using tap connectors one to the main for the whole house and one just for that 220 1 amp circuit.
question do they make an outdoor bolt in main.
any suggestions. any links. I dont have room to mount 2 panels unless i move a bunch of shelving.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 09:17 AM
I don't think you want to use a manual transfer switch with an automatic start generator.

I am no expert with generators, but I don't think you want your generator automatically starting until and unless you are present to make the manual switchover. You wouldn't want your generator to run for hours or days with no load, such as would happen if you weren't home to flip the transfer switch. I think you need to do one of two things:

Get an automatic transfer switch, which will allow wiring to auto start the generator.

OR

Use your existing generator but turn off or bypass the automatic start feature and manually start it when you need it.

Old 01-07-06, 09:24 AM
my problem is connecting that circuit.
either way I need the circuit connected

Old 01-07-06, 09:26 AM
I believe that an automatic transfer switch has the proper wiring as part of the switch.

Old 01-07-06, 09:32 AM
i need two mains.
one to transfer the power and the other to inform the gererator.

Old 01-07-06, 03:36 PM
I don't think you do.

I think that an automatic transfer switch will have the capabilities to do this, and with a manual transfer switch that you don't want to inform he generator of anything.

Old 01-07-06, 04:12 PM
please read my first post.
220 1 amp circuit that is connected to the gen. circuit board to charge the battery and when utility power is lost the generator will start. it will also run a weekly exercise for 20 min.
this cicuit requires its own main breaker

http://www.homegeneratorsystems.com/...m-domestic.pdf

Old 01-07-06, 04:27 PM
You did not read my post. With a manual transfer switch you do not want to connect anything to your generator except something to charge the battery, and that you would run as a normal circuit.

With an automatic transfer switch the automatic transfer switch will provide the circuit you need.

Old 01-07-06, 05:45 PM
according to the manufacture it runs as a separate circuit off of a utility powered main panel and then a service disconnect. It wont hurt the generator to run with no load. It will be the same thing as if its exercising which its going to do once a week anyway, further more power failures in Miami fl are far and few between except during a hurricane and in that case the unit will be turned off. Until after the big blow. Anyway I am looking for a small main disconnect

Old 01-07-06, 05:58 PM
Master, the only problem i see is that your generator will not turn off after power is restored. Is that a problem? If you just connect the control wires for the generator to your panel it will charge and start but you need to manually pull the switch. Why is that a problem? The generator starts on power loss due to the loss of power to the control so I dont see the problem.

Old 01-07-06, 06:17 PM
generator starts on loss of power if connected to the same buss as the generator and i forget to switch off that control circuit then the generator will sence power and turn back off also the other half of the problem is when utility power is restored 4 days later, at 3 am, like after wilma. I want the generator to turn off Then it will wake me up from the lack of noise and I can then transfer the power back.
I did not want to buy an auto transfer switch because of more things to malfunction in later years what is sad is this is a 220 1 amp circuit

Old 01-07-06, 06:40 PM
Yes and that 1 amp circuit is the problem. If this is the way you truly want to hook it up, then yes you need another service entrance. I can think of a few ways to get around it but I cant post them here.

Old 01-07-06, 07:36 PM
e-mail direct
and yes there are several work arounds but i want to do this by the book.

Old 01-07-06, 07:41 PM
If using a MANUAL transfer switch then you will need to DISABLE the AUTOMATIC functions of your generator.

It will do you absolutely NO good to have the generator start automatically if you still have to transfer the power manually, other than saving you from having to go push the start button on the generator (and some even let you remote mount that).

Either that, or buy the appropriate AUTOMATIC transfer panel.

Other than that, why not just install a breaker (if you have the board space) that is NOT on the transfer switches output to power the battery charger. Not sure what the smallest 240v breaker you can get is, but the circuit is probably fuse protected anyway (if it isn't it should be).

Old 01-07-06, 07:45 PM
By the book means to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Those instcuirtions clearly state that an automatic switch needs to be used. Not following manufacturers instructions is a code violation. You may not pass inspection if you go ahead with your plan. The instructions also state that if you do the work yourself you will void the warranty.

I urge you to please abandon your plan. Please buy the automatic transfer switch recommended and please see that it is wired properly. Your plan is foolhardy and may get you killed.

Old 01-07-06, 08:01 PM
yes your correct manufacture in there book says to connect it to an automatic transfer switch it also list manual transfer switches.
Also the manufacture by voice said I can hook it up to a manual transfer switch. I may just buy the auto switch and solve my problems.
thank you for you persistent advise. I hope I never ever have to use the damn thing

Last edited by mastergasfitter; 01-07-06 at 08:40 PM. Reason: I was in error