Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I notice a "flash" when I test and reset a GFI receptacle"

Old 01-08-06, 12:27 PM

I dont want to say a spark, but a quick flash from inside the receptacle if you were looking into one of the prong holes. Is this normal or something I should have looked at?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-06, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a load downstream from the receptacle in question? Does the GFCI trim immediately upon reset? There will be a normal little flash if there is a load on the circuit, but as long as it is balanced, you should not get a trip. I experience this everytime I plug in my battery charger for my drills into a gfci.

Old 01-08-06, 02:28 PM
Any time you unplug something that is turned on, it will spark. That's unavoidable. The best bet is to always turn off whatever you're unplugging before unplugging it. Still, sometimes that's not possible (e.g., a television always has some part of it that is on). In that case, just ignore the spark. Assuming it's a small spark and you have to look carefully to even see it, it's generally harmless.

Old 01-08-06, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
Is there a load downstream from the receptacle in question? Does the GFCI trim immediately upon reset? There will be a normal little flash if there is a load on the circuit, but as long as it is balanced, you should not get a trip. I experience this everytime I plug in my battery charger for my drills into a gfci.
There is a load downstream. It is actually connected to the motor on our whirlpool tub. We had the GFI outlet installed cause it was cheaper then a GFI breaker. I had the whirlpool running and was testing the GFI outlet to make sure it was working OK when I noticed the flash. Its not tripping, just flashes when I test it adn the motor is turned on. Im not sure what you mean by "trim"?

So this is normal?

Thanks

Old 01-08-06, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"Trim" is a code word for "trip" when your fat fingers can't find the right keys. Sorry about that. The downstream load is causing the flash, and is normal, since it is not tripping (or trimming) the gfci.

Old 01-08-06, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to know its normal.

While Im in here I have another question. Im new to these forums and find them a great resource. I cant seem to find a way to effectively search though. Is there a way to search just a specific forum, like electrical, for a keyword? I find that using the search at the top of the page looks through everything and produces a lot of unwanted hits.

Thanks again.

Old 01-08-06, 03:27 PM
After you click the "Search" button, click on "Advanced Search".

Old 01-08-06, 03:34 PM
The only search button I see is at the top of the screen. The top looks like this:
Keyword Search: [Drop Down Box] Search Advanced

When i click on advanced Im brought to this page which still doesnt seem to allow me to search through a particular forum.

http://search.doityourself.com/texis...3&cmd=Advanced

Is this what you are referring to or am I missing another "search" button?

Sorry to be so deft.

Old 01-08-06, 09:18 PM
You clicked on the wrong "Search" button. You used the button at the very top of the page. That search button searches the whole site. At least on my browser, that button has black letters on a gray background.

Look for another search button a few inches lower. This search button, at least on my browser, is white letters in a blue bar. Use the advanced search capability of this button, and you can search one particular forum and specify a limited date range.

Old 01-08-06, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
You clicked on the wrong "Search" button. You used the button at the very top of the page. That search button searches the whole site. At least on my browser, that button has black letters on a gray background.

Look for another search button a few inches lower. This search button, at least on my browser, is white letters in a blue bar. Use the advanced search capability of this button, and you can search one particular forum and specify a limited date range.
Thanks John - I appreciate all the help. I dont have another search button though? Ive checked in both firefox and IE but no luck.
In white text on a blue bar I see User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar, Quick Links and Log Out

I just registered today, dont know if that has something to do with it? Would you mind posting the link you see when you mouse over the search button. I can try that and see if it works.

thanks