Dryer Receptacle

Old 01-09-06, 09:40 AM
Dryer Receptacle

I think I have the wires reversed on the Dryer receptacle. I have a 10-30R, 30amp, 125/250v, 3 pole/3wire. When I place the voltmeter across the Y and X poles I get a 120v reading and same across the Y and W. I only get a 240v reading when I place the voltmeter acroos the X and W. Am I correct in assuming you should get 240 across the X and Y? If so should I switch the the W and Y wires based on my above description? Thanks.

PS the dryer is brand new and not drying properly, but works.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-06, 09:50 AM
Yes, reverse Y and W. Why was this not a problem before, with the old dryer?

Old 01-09-06, 10:25 AM
I disconnected the old receptacle, moved box and replaced receptacle. I renovated the laundry room, ripped out sheetrock, etc. I'm kicking my self for not running a new 4 wire. I still can, I guess. I was in a hurry to get wash and dryer back up in running.

Thanks a million!

Old 01-09-06, 11:57 AM
Racraft's point, I'll bet, was to point out for future reference that is was NOT a good idea to not label the old wires to EXACTLY where they went in the old receptacle. Never trust your memory; sometimes, you will get far more dangerous results than just not getting the right voltages in the right slots.

Glad everything is going to work out this time.

Old 01-09-06, 12:07 PM
Actually my concern was twofold. I was concerned that this was a new installation which would be required by code to be four wire, or that the old dryer was connected by someone who didn't know what they were doing and perhaps done with the wrong cable or something like that.

Yes, one should always take detailed notes when removing and replacing a switch, receptacle or light. However, many people do not. This is a common problem we get questions here all the time where people admit they didn't take notes and other questions where we discover and they eventually admit that they didn't take notes.