Please Check My Disposal Wiring Plan

Old 01-09-06, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please Check My Disposal Wiring Plan

I have been carefully planning the wiring of a new garbage disposal and have read through previous posts. It looks like what I am doing is right, but I am not totally sure. So, here is my plan.

The garbage disposal is 3/4 HP, by the way.

The circuit I have chosen has a refrigerator and 4 outlets. Only one of those outlets is on the countertop and get any use. I plan to replace that outlet (GCFI) with a GCFI/switch combo and connect the disposal to the switch. This outlet is not end-of-run. I chose it because it is beside the sink.

The Kitchen has a couple other circuits. One powers an outlet, the Microwave, a fan, and gas stove. Another powers the dishwasher and the lights are on yet another circuit.

I know that the best thing to do is use a dedicated cicuit, but I think that may be overkill since there are already 4 circuits in the kitchen. The basement is also partially finished which will make a new circuit difficult to wire.

Please tell me if I am doing this wrong. The last thing I want to do is burn down my money pit... er house... and everyone in it. Also, is a GCFI/switch combo sufficient equipment? I have seen recommenddation that say the switch part should only be used for light fixtures.

Also, the circuit I want to use is not grounded, but the 14/2 Romex I will use to wire the disposal outlet is. What is the best way to ground it?

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from the experts.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-06, 07:38 PM
Your plan violates several codes. You need to run a new circuit.

A garbage disposal cannot be on a circuit that serves the kitchen counter top. The garbage disposal must be grounded.

The garbage disposal does not need to be GFCI protected, but you can if you want to.

You could tap the dishwasher circuit if you wanted to (as long as it doesn't feed anything else), but I still recommend a new circuit.

Old 01-09-06, 07:57 PM
I knew it was too good to be true. Thank You!

Alternatives:

(1) Running a new circuit

- Obviously the best choice, but I am still trying to think of alternatives

(2) Tapping into the DW line.

- Would I just splice at the connection

(3) Tappiing into an outlet not on the countertop

- I could use the outlet behind the refridgerator. I would wire a new switch beside the sink.

(4) Tapping into a junction box

- The junction boxes for the kitchen are in the unfished part of the basement and easilty accessed. Could I just run a line from one of those?

Thanks again for the info

Old 01-09-06, 08:10 PM
You can put the disposal on the same circuit as the dishwasher, but do you really need 3/4 HP? That's going to push this circuit, and you may trip the breaker if you run it at the same time as the dishwasher. That's especially true if your dishwasher heats its own water or dries the dishes with heat, and you run the disposal during a heating phase. If the dishwasher is full-featured, and if the circuit is only a 15-amp circuit, I'd step down to a 1/2 HP disposal.