Chainging Florescent Lignt Fixtures

Old 01-10-06, 06:32 PM
Question Chainging Florescent Lignt Fixtures

I changing a light that was wired for Florescent blubs to a regular light fixture. The instruction says to connect the white and black wires on the fixture to the white and black wires on the electrical outlet. What do I do if the two wires on the electrical outlet is white and blue. Which color wire do I connect to the blue wire? What about the ground?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-06, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blue is used especially in ceiling fan use and it indicates the "hot" wire for the lighting, so if you hook the blue to black and the white to white, and the grounding wire to the bare wire, you will be ok. Was this light originally a ceiling fan? Just curious.

Old 01-10-06, 07:09 PM
Is this maybe a commerical facility or something with 3-phase power at the main panel? If so, black, red, and blue are all typical "HOTs" depending on which phase they come from. Use whichever you have for that particular circuit. White and Green/Bare should be normal in this case.

The other idea I had was the fan with light kit, as mentioned.

Old 01-10-06, 08:04 PM
I'm guessing that you might live in the greater Chicago area, or maybe in NYC or some other area that requires conduit.

Just treat the blue wire as if it was black and otherwise follow the instructions. Connect the fixture wire to the metal box with a green grounding screw or a grounding pigtail (I'm guessing that the box is metal).