switched receptacle problem

Old 01-11-06, 01:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
switched receptacle problem

I replaced a switch and 4 receptacles in a bedroom. Everything works fine except the switched receptacle. I thought I followed the wiring correctly when I replaced the receptacles/switch but the switch is not working. I have power but the switch will not toggle the receptacle on/off correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-06, 01:31 PM
X
Did you break the tabs off?

Old 01-11-06, 02:00 PM
R
As XS6DFG0 has suggested, you probably forgot to break off the tab between the top half and bottom half of at least the receptacle that should be switched. Duplex receptacles have a small metal tab between the screw connections top half of the receptacle and the bottom half, on both the neutral and hot sides of the receptacle. When half a receptacle is switched and the other half is not then at least the tab on the hot (brass) side needs to be broken off. However, you also need to check the other receptacles, as they too need to exactly match the receptacles they replaced.

Old 01-12-06, 04:37 PM
S
Originally Posted by racraft
As XS6DFG0 has suggested, you probably forgot to break off the tab between the top half and bottom half of at least the receptacle that should be switched. Duplex receptacles have a small metal tab between the screw connections top half of the receptacle and the bottom half, on both the neutral and hot sides of the receptacle. When half a receptacle is switched and the other half is not then at least the tab on the hot (brass) side needs to be broken off. However, you also need to check the other receptacles, as they too need to exactly match the receptacles they replaced.

thanks for the assistance. I did remove the tab.. any other suggestions... i'm guessing I got two of the wires switched. what is the best way to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Old 01-12-06, 05:21 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Tell us the wiring at the receptacle and the switch and the tabs you did or didn't break off. Obviously you didn't get it the same as before.

Old 01-12-06, 06:13 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My guess is that you removed too many or too few tabs, or the wrong tabs. The answer lies somewhere with the tabs. If you still have all the removed receptacles, it should be easy to check.

Old 01-22-06, 07:42 AM
S
My guess is that you removed too many or too few tabs, or the wrong tabs. The answer lies somewhere with the tabs. If you still have all the removed receptacles, it should be easy to check.
Well, I compared the old and the new and it appears that I removed the same tabs. I'm still guessing I have the wires switched. I'm going to troubleshoot it a bit today and hopefully figure it out.

thanks!

Old 01-24-06, 04:16 AM
B
Draw yourself a picture of where all the white and black wires go and where they are connected, top or bottom screw and if the tab connecting the top and bottom screws are there or missing. Then follow the flow of power from the source.

Old 01-24-06, 07:48 AM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well, I compared the old and the new and it appears that I removed the same tabs.
Tabs? Did you remove the tab on both sides of the receptacle... ie ...silver and the brass tab?

Answer Joes' questions that would help

Old 01-25-06, 10:32 AM
S
Got it... thanks!

Scott

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: