220 wiring problem

Old 01-12-06, 03:57 AM
S
sulmar
Visiting Guest
220 wiring problem

My sister had a friend add a 220 outlet for an electric fryer in her house. Dryer runs but does not heat. Wiring looks correct - 2 hots hooked to breaker, neutral to bar, ground to bar. Plug is also wired correctly except no ground in plug. All I have is a test light but there is power to plug, just don't know how much. Dryer does work, took it to my house and tried it. Breaker doesn't look like others and is loose in box. You can rattle it in there. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-06, 04:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the breaker the correct brand and type for the panel? Breakers are not standard and (with few exceptions) are not interchangeable between different makes of panels.

Another possibility is that a dual breaker (single slot, two circuit) was installed instead of a double-pole (two slot wide) breaker. If this was done there would be 120V from each hot to ground (so the motor and timer would run) but 0V across the two hots (so the heater would not run).

Old 01-12-06, 04:40 AM
R
I suspect either not wired to 240 volts, but rather wired to two same legs of 120, or one side is out. Both of these you can test with your two wire tester. Have you tested each hot wire to ground, each hot wire to neutral, and the hot wires to each other?

Visually examine breaker placement in panel and check outputs with a voltmeter.

Also, please correct wiring problem so that ground is present at receptacle.

Your friend should only have licensed electricians do work for her.

Old 01-12-06, 06:17 AM
J
Received 180 Votes on 161 Posts
Since this is a new installation you must use a plug with a ground. Change the cord on the dryer to a four prong cord.

Old 01-12-06, 09:15 PM
S
sulmar
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thank you all for the info. I have informed my sister to hire a licensed electrician to remedy the situation Again, thank you.

Old 01-13-06, 06:15 PM
N
we had a dryer that was fused. one of the two fuses blew, it would tumble but not heat. I'd say your missing a phase.