Splicing

Old 01-12-06, 10:53 AM
Splicing

I have to splice 4 feeder conductors to my 100 amp subpanel due to not buying enough wire (missed it by 12" or less, thought it was 5 feet over). Anyhow, their are 3 #2 copper stranded and one #10 (?) splicing to 3 #1 copper stranded to one #6.

I used aluminum splicers and to make a long story short, I tried using a rubber tube that is made for waterproofing splices. It didn't work because I discovered after I left HD that I was sold #1 wire when I asked for #2. Since I had to use a larger splicer, the tube didn't fit over the splice connector.

The whole thing is in my attic, but the only j-box big enough they had to take 1.25" EMT flex was the plastic kind. I opted for a larger box, due to my newbie fingers, and it is 6" x 6" X 4".

So besides using liquid tape, what other ways are there for insulating a splice?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-06, 01:01 PM
i would have soldered that connection, applied heat shrink, and a 1/2 roll of electrical tape. and i'm not sure if that is even allowable.

Old 01-12-06, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Soldering is not allowed. Why not go and buy a heat shrink that will fit your application? Did your cable fit in the connector? You didn't trim any strands from the cable to make it fit, did you? If so, cut it back, buy the right size splice kit. And it must be in a junction box with proper fittings at the entrance and exit points.

Old 01-12-06, 04:18 PM
No solder

I originally bought splicers that would fix #2 AWG at the largest. One such splicer came with a tube of rubber like shrink wrap. Once I realized I has #1 AWG on the other end of splice, I got new splicers but not shrink wrap. I will look for bigger shrink wrap. I was wondering, what is the best way to insulate these large splices?

Old 01-12-06, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tyger52
what is the best way to insulate these large splices?
HD also sells rubber insulating tape in the same section as electrical tape. Use it first, and then cover with electrical tape or, preferably, 10-mil. tape.

Old 01-12-06, 06:01 PM
The only reason I asked was because I have seen it before. And since the wrap wouldn't fit, I had to assume the fittings should have been too small without losing some of the strands.

Old 01-12-06, 07:28 PM
Also, that is a way small box for such conduit and conductors.
For 1.25" conduit you need an 8x8 box minimum.

Old 01-12-06, 07:34 PM
I didn't think you could splice feeder cable? may be it can be done with a trailer box or something like that if I remember correctly.. I was going to move my panel but needed a few extra feet and ran into code violations unless I did some special config.. anyway, ...

Old 01-12-06, 07:40 PM
I can't visualize what you mean by "aluminum splicers". I think I would have used split bolts (2 per wire) rated for copper and taped them up with Scotch 70 to create a smooth surface, then finished off with Scotch 33. And, like Speedy say, a big ol' box.

Old 01-12-06, 07:52 PM
frhrwa, the wires going into your main panel are not feeders. And there are lots more restrictions on those wires than there are on feeders.

Old 01-13-06, 08:33 AM
I should measure before posting

I will double check the box measurements, it might be a 8" x 8" x 6" now that I think about it.

The aluminum splicers are from HD. As much as I hate to use AL, they seem to be the best fit in the way that I can tape them and keep the wire and the splicer "thin" so that they are as far apart as possible.

Thanks for the tip on the rubber tape.