"fishing" electrical wire

Old 01-13-06, 08:55 AM
Question "fishing" electrical wire

Can anyone provide any tips on "fishing" electrical wire(a new circuit) from the circuit box, up inside the wall, across the attic and down another wall?
My house was built in '98, so hopefully (or maybe not hopefully) it was built using fiberglass insulation batts; will I end up tearing into and dislodging these batts trying to pull a new circuit wire through the same place?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 09:13 AM
i just did this about a month ago...my advice is go a a fish tape at lowes or hd,i worked great for me,i thought i could do it without being we use ac cable here in ny,and i was frustrated,then i bought the fish tape and literally within minutes i had the wire ran 12 feet up into the attic....good luck

Old 01-13-06, 09:46 AM
tks loxy; planned on doing that and glad to hear it might be easier than I'm thinking.

Old 01-13-06, 09:47 AM
sorry, tks lovmy4x4

sorry, tks lovmy4x4

Old 01-13-06, 10:20 AM
I have several types of fish tapes, but for walls, I usually use the fish stick. It's similar to a graphite fishing pole, but designed for electricians. It's usually much faster than a fish tape because it responds to being aimed and poking around to find your box or your hole in the top plate of the wall, depending on which direction you go. In fact, when going down the wall, you can sometimes just push the Romex down on its own and grab it from the box hole. Get between the insulation and the wall on whatever side you need as soon as you can.

Old 01-13-06, 11:38 AM
thank you Mcallisters

thank you McAllisters