200 amp feeder wire

Old 01-13-06, 10:19 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
200 amp feeder wire

I am installing a new 200a service on my pole 150 feet from my old house. The meter box will have a disconnect and a feeder breaker and I am running the feeder wiring through 2 in. conduit to the subpanel in the house. My local electrician says use AL (cost) while another says CU (likes it better). My Question, What is the mininum size and recommended size for both types. The service is moderately oversized as I use propane for water heat and dryer, but I have garage/ shop and barn on another sub, and I am adding 800 sq. feet to house.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 11:56 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If your inspector will allow the use of Table 310.15(B)(6) for sizing the subpanel feeder, then 2/0 copper THWN or 4/0 aluminum THWN is correct. If not, you need 3/0 copper THWN or 250 kcmil aluminum THWN. If you pull a ground, it needs to be #4 copper or #2 aluminum.

Al wire is cheaper, but takes more work to install correctly because of the larger size and the need for de-oxidizing connections. AL wire can be problematic in direct-burial appliactions, but you're using conduit. Sometimes, Al terminations will need to be re-tightened after a few weeks of use. If installed correctly, Al wire is considered safe for service feeders.