Pool table light - hardwired

Old 01-13-06, 11:46 PM
Pool table light - hardwired

We were looking at some of our wiring and noticed the following. We have a 3 bulb pool table light that looks like it originally had a plug at the end of the wire. It was cut off and is hardwired to a 14-2 wire in a ceiling box. I read somewhere that this is not code, but what are the issues/hazards with this, because the entire light would have to be rewired and an outlet box installed on the ceiling to bring it back to being plugged in. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-06, 05:38 AM
i suppose because the stranded wire is not designed for hardwire applications and since the fixture is not permanant that creates an unsafe condition. just get one of those quick connect lamp plugs and pop a receptacle in the box. not too hard to do. don't forget to turn off the breaker first.

Old 01-14-06, 07:37 AM
There have been some other posts in regard to this issue. The only argument that has been valid is that if a lamp assembly comes with a plug and you then hard wire it (or vice-versa), then it is no longer UL listed.
I say that we need to use a little common sense. If the original lamp was intended to be used as a permanently hung lamp, such as a swag light or chandelier over a dining table, then it makes little difference whether it is plugged in to an outlet in the ceiling, or hard wired to a box in the ceiling.
Is your light wired to a junction box?

If the light came with a ground wire, make sure that it is properly grounded. If the light is hard wired, it must be done in a box.
The only other "code" issue that might relate is that the "zip" wire or lamp cord is not suitable for wiring in the walls because it does not have suitable insulation.
Lastly, check the cord on that light periodically. The rubber does deteriorate. If you see cracks in the cord, it needs to be replaced.

Old 01-14-06, 08:41 AM
The insulation on the wire is also significant. Most cord wire is designed to be used in the free air only. If you enclose it in a box, you increase the risk of a fire. Probably only a small increase in risk, but it all adds up.

Old 01-14-06, 09:27 AM
follow up question

Thanks for everyones quick replies. The pool table light is a permanent fixture and the wire runs up the swag chain and into a junction box at the ceiling level (exactly like a box for an overhead light), so there's probably 5-6 inches of wire in the box and circular cover that covers the box. Since a couple of people mentioned fire hazards, should I wrap black tape over these wires?
Also, there was a mention about grounding it properly. I looked at the pool light wires and only 1 wire has a faint green marking on it while the other two don't have any markings. Does the green marking normally signify the ground?

Thanks again.

Old 01-14-06, 09:34 AM
yes, but i would trace it into the fixture and see for myself