Digital Thermostat for Oil Heating

Old 01-17-06, 01:18 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Digital Thermostat for Oil Heating

Hi. I recently purchased 2 digital thermostat units for my heating at the home. I have a separate circuit braker for each room, and also for some appliances, do I disconnect electricity only in the two rooms where I'm going to perform the installation, or do I need to cut off electricity in the whole house? Also, the current thermostat in my bedroom is for heating only (I have separate heating thermostats in each room, but only two combined units for Heat/AC, one on first, one on second floor. When replacing the bedroom unit, do I leave the AC wires hanging and just connect up the heating wires?

Old 01-17-06, 08:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You do not have to turn off any breakers to replace a thermostat. They operate on 24 volts AC. You will unscrew or remove the top part of the existing thermostat, make a note (write it down) what wires go to what screws (they are usually marked with one or two letters). Be careful to keep the ends of the wires from touching each other (the heating system would kick on and off). Remove the old base from the wall and replace it with the base of the new thermostat, pulling the wires through the large hole in the base. Attach the wires to the appropriate terminals. Read the instructions for proper wires to proper terminals and for the rest of the install and setup procedure.
If there is no AC for the zone, don't connect the wires, but tape them off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: