Weather Head

Old 01-15-06, 07:28 AM
mark2817
Visiting Guest
Weather Head

I installed new service to my house a couple of weeks ago. The power company hooked their service lines to my weather head in a shape like this going straight up as soon as it comes out of my weather head ∩ seems like it should have been in a u shape to keep rain water from running down into the 2" conduit. Thinking about calling them back to redo it. Just wanted to check Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-06, 11:24 AM
When you say weatherhead you are refering to the shell-shaped cap that is screwed on top of conduit {service-mast} correct? If the weatherhead & conductors are properly installed it should be all that is needed to keep rain from getting inside the pipe.The service condutors should be in a "U" shape {drip loop}at their connection point to prevent water seepage into them

Old 01-15-06, 11:26 AM
You should have put that upside-down "U" shape on your weatherhead before they arrived. Then their wires should be in a right-side up "U" shape (drip loop) after coming out of your upside-down "U" on the pipe.

Is any of this what you meant?

Old 01-15-06, 11:56 AM
mark2817
Visiting Guest
Yes I'm talking about the cap on top I had about four foot of wire hanging out for them to connect to but I was gone when they connected and they have pulled the wires above my weather head and looks like an upside down U

Old 01-15-06, 12:49 PM
Is there, or is there not, a drip loop?

If there is a drip loop, then it doesn't matter much what shape the wires create beyond the drip loop.

Old 01-15-06, 05:23 PM
mark2817
Visiting Guest
this is what my weather head looks like

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dead-Stock-3...QQcmdZViewItem

I had the wires hanging below the weather head for them to hook up to but they pulled them up above the weather head so all it looks like n which the best I can tell would let rain water run back into my 2" conduit to the meter box sorry that I have you all confused I believe the wires should be below my weather head to make my drip legg look like this U not above like this n which would let the water run down into the conduit to the meter box I will just call them

Old 01-15-06, 06:09 PM
U. /\ .... doesn't really matter as long as, at some point, the wires are lower than the point where they enter the weatherhead.

Old 01-15-06, 07:26 PM
Your weather head drip loop is formed from the wires you supplied for the utility. That drip loop should be formed with that 24-36" of service entrance that you provided. It would look like the below pdf file page 39. the messenger cable would anchor about 4"-8" below the weatherhead cap.

http://www.kcpl.com/newconst/2005ess.pdf