Basement electricals

Old 01-15-06, 08:43 AM
Basement electricals

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I am in Central NJ. My builder has given an GFCI socket right next to electrical panel at a height of approx. 5 ft.
As per the list in panel it controls the switch for furnace. How to make sure it does not control anything else. And also can I just leave it there and frame it along with electrical box in a closet or I will have to move it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-06, 09:23 AM
You already should know if anything else is on this circuit. Everyone should know what each and every circuit breaker controls and what circuit to use for each and every receptacle, light or appliance in their house. You should have figured this out shortly after moving in.

Never ever trust the panel information sheet. I suggest that you take the time NOW to completely map out your electrical system It takes a few hours and is best if you have help.

If you are finishing this area of your basement and want the panel in a closet, make sure that it is not a clothes closet, and that you not obstruct the front of the panel. In other words, the closet will be mostly empty. You might be better off framing a door with the panel behind it, or simply making a cover for the panel door. You can leave the receptacle as is, or you can move it closer to the floor. You may even be able to remove it completely, since you will be adding other receptacles to the basement walls.

Old 01-15-06, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure what's up with this. The NEC requires a furnace be on a separate circuit, and a furnace motor shouldn't be protected by a GFCI as some motors cause nuisance tripping of the device.

Some localities do have rules that allow/force there a GFCI be placed on the furnace circuit when a new furnace install is done if another place isn't available for a service receptacle. BUT, the GFCI is wired so it doesn't bother the furnace, it is just on the circuit.

New work shouldn't have a GFCI on the furnace circuit.

You do need to map the circuits in the house.

UNK