Outlets no longer working

Old 01-15-06, 10:09 AM
superdave10
Visiting Guest
Outlets no longer working

I changed an outlet (changing colors to go with new paint). When I wired in the new outlet and switched the breaker back on I determined the other outlet in the circuit was no longer working. The outlet I replaced works just fine and as directed I wired both black wires to the brass and both white wires to the silver and the ground of course to the green. This has happened with two separate circuits where I replaced outlets.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-06, 11:09 AM
Did you use the back-stabs or the screws on each of the receptacles you replaced? Back-stabs are notorious trouble-makers

Old 01-15-06, 11:48 AM
Any chance one or both tabs on the replacement receptical were broken off? If so, the downstream receptical won't work, and half of the replacement duplex receptical won't work.

Old 01-15-06, 12:18 PM
Likely reasons have already been identified. To summarize:
  1. You may have made a bad connection.
  2. You may have incorrectly handled the receptacle tabs, either removing ones you should not have, or not removing ones you should have. Do you understand the purpose of the tabs? Did you inspect the tabs on the ones you removed? Did you remove any tabs?
  3. Black to brass and white to silver is not always correct. A better algorithm is to wire the new receptacle the same as the old one, even if the old one was not wired black to brass and white to silver. In fact, in many receptacle boxes, there are wires in the box that should not be connected to the receptacle at all. And sometimes you will see black wires correctly connected to white wires. And sometimes you will find red wires. Did you use the simple black-to-brass-white-to-silver algorithm, or did you try to replicate the previous wiring?

Old 01-15-06, 12:47 PM
superdave10
Visiting Guest
answers to questions

I'm relatively certain the tabs are as they should be. All of the tabs are in place and if I am correct they should be in place to accomplish what I am trying to do. Is that right?

I wasn't smart enough to look at how it was wired to begin with on the original receptacle. I just assumed it was wired as it should be and wired the new one as it in theory should be also. I also unfortunately discared the old receptacles before I realized I had a problem.

All that being said do you have suggestions on how to determine how to rewire it appropriately going forward?